What is a Career in Architecture like? In Conversation with an Architect
On the show today we meet Michael! Michael works as an Architect and owns and manages an architectural practice focussing on residential and commercial architecture in the US.
Michael kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the architect role
- An overview of the architecture industry
- The purpose of the architect role
- What an architect and business owner does on an average day
- Specialist tools:
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Michael became an architect from aspiring doctor
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring architects
- The future of the architecture profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in architecture:
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- The importance of timely and transparent communication
- Balancing the art and business of architecture
- The importance of company culture and boundaries to prevent burnout; and the pitfalls of spreading yourself too thin
- The value of flexibility and adaptability in relationship management
- Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) in the profession
- Sustainability in the profession
So if you’re curious and wondering what an architect does or how to become an architect, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!