What Is a Career as a Barristers’ Clerk Like? In Conversation with a Practice Director
On the show today we meet Arron! Arron works as a Practice Director at a barristers’ chambers in the judiciary industry in the UK. If you’re curious about a career as a barristers’ clerk, check it out!
Arron kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the barristers’ clerk/practice director role
- An overview of how chambers fit into the legal landscape, types of chambers sets/sectors and typical departments within chambers
- The purpose of the barristers’ clerk/practice director role
- What a barristers’ clerk/practice director does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Arron became a practice director from not knowing what he wanted to do
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring barristers’ clerks and professionals
- The future of the barristers’ clerk profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in the barristers’ clerk profession:
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Managing difficult conversations
- Business development and why it is important to show your personality and be yourself
- The benefit of part-time jobs, first jobs and volunteering for developing soft skills
- Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) within chambers and how the profession is trying to bridge the gap
- The power of great colleagues and teamwork – we can’t all be strikers!
So if you’re curious and wondering what a barristers’ clerk does or how to become a barristers’ clerk or if you just want to be inspired ~ listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!