What Is a Career in Counselling & Psychotherapy Like? In Conversation with a Counsellor & Psychotherapist
On the show today we meet Mike! Mike works as a Counsellor & Psychotherapist in the healthcare sector in the UK.
Mike kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the counsellor & psychotherapist roles
- An overview of the counselling & psychotherapy industry
- The purpose of counselling & psychotherapy
- What a counsellor & psychotherapist does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Mike became a counsellor & psychotherapist from aspiring actor and established IT professional
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Proudest moments of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring counsellors & psychotherapists:
- The future of the counselling & psychotherapy profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in counselling & psychotherapy:
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Financial security in career decision making
- Navigating a mid-career change and re-training
- Pursuing passion, purpose and career fulfilment
- The importance of continuous learning
- Setting boundaries to prevent burnout
- The power of self-reflection and self-awareness
- Imposter syndrome and fear of failure
- Taking a leap of faith
So if you’re curious and wondering what a counsellor & psychotherapist does or how to become a counsellor & psychotherapist or you just want to be inspired – listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!