What Is a Career in Environmental Economics and Policy Like? In Conversation with a Director of Economics and Policy
Welcome to Episode 51 of The Career Discovery Podcast, the show that’s all about helping you broaden your career horizons, discover your professional potential and empower your career journey.
This week, we’re excited to introduce Liz, an experienced Director of Economics and Policy in the UK’s Environmental Services Consultancy industry.
Liz shares insights on:
We also explore these key themes:
- Decision-Making and Self-Trust:
- Trusting Your Instincts: Taking steps forward even when the path isn’t clear, clarity emerges as you progress.
- Overcoming Imposter Syndrome: Starting before feeling fully prepared, focusing on courage over perfection.
- Belief of Others: Leaning on the support of others in moments of self-doubt.
- Dealing with Self-Criticism: Seeking feedback from a reliable support network rather than relying solely on self-criticism.
- Having Alternative Plans: Recognising the importance of having backup plans.
- Multiple Paths to Success: Understanding there isn’t a singular way to achieve goals.
- Personal Growth and Learning:
- Balancing Work and Passions: Maintaining interests and hobbies outside of work.
- Embracing Lifelong Learning: Prioritising continuous skill development even with an unclear endpoint.
- Finding Fulfilment: Aligning your work with personal interests and values where feasible.
- Pursuing Personal Passions: Pursuing passions beyond your professional career.
- Career Development and Mentorship:
- Seeking Diverse Perspectives: Seeking insights from a range of individuals for significant decisions.
- Benefits of Mentorship: Recognising the role of mentors in challenging and planning future career options.
- Paid Student Placements: Considering the advantages of paid student placement programs.
- Connecting with Nature:
- Embracing the Outdoors: Acknowledging the value of spending time in nature, especially in the era of remote work.
“If you show people, they will look at it; if you talk to people, they will hear it; if you teach people, they will understand it.” ~ Confucius
Subscribe now to join us every week for fresh episodes, engaging Q&A sessions and more. And if you’re craving extra inspiration and insights, check out our extensive back catalogue of insightful conversations.
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, we’d love to hear from you. Feel free to reach out.