What is a Career in Sales in Financial Services & FinTech like? In Conversation with a Head of Index Sales
On the show today we meet Liz! Liz works as a Head of Index Sales in the FinTech industry in the UK.
Liz kindly shares with us:
- An overview of the financial services industry ecosystem (banking, investment/asset management & FinTech)
- Common misconceptions of the sales role
- The purpose of the sales role
- What a sales professional does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Liz became a head of index sales from aspiring psychologist and CEO of Disney
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring financial services and FinTech sales professionals:
- The future of the sales in financial service and FinTech
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in sales and/or financial services and FinTech
- Advice for her younger self and you!
- FinTech – financial technology
- AUM – assets under management
- IFA – independent financial advisor
We also talk about:
- The value of teamwork and organisational collaboration
- The importance of networking and building lasting relationships
- Recovering from setbacks, resilience, learning and finding the positives
- Figuring out where in an organisation you can do your best work (cultures, environments, internal versus external clients etc)
- How dreaming big seems more commonplace in US versus UK
- The value of curiosity and asking questions
- Diversity and inclusion within the industry
- Balancing work, client entertainment and life
So if you’re curious and wondering what a sales professional in financial services and FinTech does or how to become a sales professional in the financial services or FinTech industry, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!