What Is a Career in General Counsel Like? In Conversation with a General Counsel & Chief Legal Officer
On the show today we meet Katie! Katie works as a General Counsel & Chief Legal Officer in the investment management industry in the UK.
Katie kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the general counsel role
- An overview of the investment management industry
- The purpose of the general counsel role
- An overview of the typical roles within an in-house legal department
- What a general counsel does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Katie became a general counsel from aspiring vicar
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring legal professionals
- The future of the legal profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in the legal profession:
- Advice for her younger self and you!
- Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life – Héctor García & Francesc Miralles
We also talk about:
- The legal profession more broadly:
- In house legal versus private practice
- Law firms – typical types, structures and services
- Solicitors, Solicitor Advocates & Barristers
- The Japanese concept of ‘ikigai’
- Why it’s okay not to have a plan
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
- The importance of staying open and curious
So if you’re curious and wondering what a general counsel does or how to become a general counsel or you just want to be inspired – listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!