What is a Career in General Practice & Medicine like? In Conversation with a GP & Doctor
On the show today we meet Kate! Kate is a registered Doctor who works as a General Practitioner (GP) at a medical practice in the UK.
Kate kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the GP role
- An overview of the GP profession
- The purpose of the GP role
- What a GP does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Kate became a GP from aspiring train driver and lawyer
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Essential education, training and helpful skills for aspiring GPs
- The future of the GP profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in medicine and/or general practice:
- Advice for her younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- The benefit of vocations with set paths
- Overcoming failures
- Confidence building
- Pressure of exams
- Learning how to learn:
- The importance of people skills and knowing your why
- Emotional boundaries
So if you’re curious and wondering what a GP & Doctor does or how to become GP & Doctor, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!