What is a Career in HR Like? In Conversation with an HR Consultancy Business Owner
On the show today we meet Karen! Karen works as a Human Resources (HR) Consultancy Business Owner in the UK.
Karen kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the HR role
- An overview of the HR industry and typical roles within an HR department
- The purpose of the HR role
- What an HR consultancy business owner does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Karen became an HR consultancy business owner from aspiring Pan’s People dancer & PE teacher
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Proudest moments of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring HR professionals
- The future of the HR profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in HR:
- Advice for her younger self and you!
- The Top Regrets of the Dying – Bronnie Ware
We also talk about:
- The advantage of surrounding yourself with positive people
- The benefit of transferable and in-demand skills
- The value of getting a foot in the door and learning on the job
- The power of humility, curiosity and continuous learning
- The importance of believing in yourself
- Getting out of your comfort zone
So if you’re curious and wondering what an HR professional does or how to become an HR professional, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!