What is a Career in Information Technology like? In Conversation with a Chief Information Officer (CIO)
On the show today we meet Barbara! Barbara works as a Chief Information Officer (CIO), leading information technology teams, in the financial services industry in the UK.
Barbara kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the CIO role
- An overview of the financial services industry (including the connectivity with FinTech)
- The purpose of the technology role
- What a CIO does on an average day
- An overview of the different roles within a technology team
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Barbara became a CIO from aspiring basketball player
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring technology professionals
- The future of the technology profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in technology
- Advice for her younger self and you!
- MVP – minimum viable product or minimum viable proposition
We also talk about:
- The importance of cross-functional teams that incorporate the business and technology teams
- Why you don’t have to be a coder to work in technology – there are a myriad of roles!
- Project management methodologies and new ways of working
- The importance of people in technology
- The value of being open and honest about your aspirations
- The importance of asking for help and failing fast
- Diversity and inclusion within technology
So if you’re curious and wondering what a CIO does or what roles are available within technology; or how to become a CIO or how to get into technology, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!