What Is a Career in Internal Audit Like? In Conversation with a Chief Internal Audit Officer
On the show today we meet Kate! Kate works as a Chief Internal Audit Officer in the financial services industry in the UK.
Kate kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the internal audit role
- An overview of the financial services industry: retail banks & building societies
- The purpose of the internal audit role
- Internal audit versus external audit
- An overview of the typical roles within an internal audit department
- What a chief internal audit officer does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Kate became a chief internal audit officer from aspiring doctor
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring internal audit professionals
- The future of the internal audit profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in the internal audit profession:
- Advice for her younger self and you!
- Love and Work – Marcus Buckingham
- What if I Say the Wrong Thing – Vernā̄. Myers
- Daring Greatly – Brené Brown
We also talk about:
- Having the courage to make tough decisions
- The importance of choosing a company and culture where you can be yourself
- Managing imposter syndrome
- The importance of taking risks and putting yourself in the ‘arena’
- Knowing and believing in your own value and worth
So if you’re curious and wondering what a chief internal audit officer does or how to become a chief internal audit officer or you just want to be inspired – listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!