What Is a Career in Investment Management Like? In Conversation with a Chief Investment Officer (CIO)
On the show today we meet David! David works as a chief investment officer (CIO) in the investment management industry in the UK. If you’re curious about a career in investment management, check it out!
David kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the CIO role
- An overview of the investment management industry
- The myriad of roles within the industry and why whatever your skill set, there’s a role for you
- The purpose of the CIO role
- The structure of a typical investment team
- What is meant by multi-asset investing
- What a CIO does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How David became a CIO having set his sights on ‘the city’ in finance or law
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring investment management professionals
- The future of the investment management profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in investment management:
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Finding your ideal workplace – where your values align with the team and culture
- The importance of regular self-reflection – to check if you are on the right track
- Harnessing the power of continuous learning even in the uncomfortable and challenging times
- Mental fitness in the workplace – the value of embracing openness at work
- The power of EQ, especially in an AI-dominated world
So if you’re curious and wondering what a CIO does or how to become a CIO or if you just want to be inspired ~ listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!