What is a Career in Investment Management like? In Conversation with an Investment Manager
On the show today we meet Van! Van works as an Investment Manager (Head of Currency Management/Investment Strategist) in the asset management/investment management industry in the UK.
Van kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the investment management professional role
- An overview of the asset management/investment management industry
- The purpose of the currency management role
- What a head of currency management/investment strategist does on an average day
- Specialist tools:
- Bloomberg Terminal
- Refinitiv Eikon
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Van became an investment manager from an aspiring writer
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring investment professionals
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in asset management/investment management
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- The benefit of observing others for learning
- Having the courage to ask for help
- The importance of organisational culture, humility and collaboration
- The importance of enjoying what you are doing
- Value of experiencing different parts of the industry
So if you’re curious and wondering what an investment manager does or how to become an investment manager’, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!