What is a Career in Marketing like? In Conversation with a Head of Marketing
On the show today we meet Laura! Laura works as a Head of Marketing in the investment management/asset management industry in the UK.
Laura kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the head of marketing role
- An overview of a marketing department and the wide variety of roles
- The purpose of the marketing function
- What a head of marketing does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Laura became a head of marketing from aspiring paediatrician
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for marketing professionals
- The future of the marketing profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in marketing
- Advice for her younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Taking the first step when you are afraid to start
- Finding value in all experiences
- The danger of taking things for granted, making assumptions and having pre-conceived notions
- The power of understanding the context you are working in
- Building your personal brand within a company
- Building your own ‘personal board of directors’
- The importance of asking questions and being willing to put yourself out there
So if you’re curious and wondering what a head of marketing does or how to become a head of marketing, listen, watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!