What Is a Career in Military & Defence Like? In Conversation with a Former Royal Air Force Officer
On the show today we meet Andrew! Andrew used to work as an Officer in the Royal Air Force (RAF), one of the British armed forces in the UK. Andrew now continues his work in military strategy & defence management through academia, consulting and writing. If you’re curious about a career in the military, defence or the armed forces, check it out!
Andrew kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the RAF officer role
- An overview of the armed forces
- The purpose of the RAF officer role
- What a RAF Officer does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Andrew became an RAF officer
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring armed forces professionals
- The future of the armed forces profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in the armed forces:
- Advice for his younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Leadership – what it is, what it takes and why it is a privilege not a perk
- Diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and the progress that has been made within the services
- Bouncing back from disappointment
- Imposter syndrome – pros, cons and management tips
- The importance of doing work you enjoy
So if you’re curious and wondering what a RAF officer does or how to become a RAF officer or if you just want to be inspired ~ listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!