What Is a Career as a Principal / Headteacher Like? In Conversation with a Principal
On the show today we meet Victoria! Victoria works as the Principal of a secondary school and sixth form college in the UK.
Victoria kindly shares with us:
- Common misconceptions of the principal role
- An overview of the education sector
- The myriad of roles within schools
- The purpose of the principal role
- What a principal does on an average day
- Most enjoyable parts of the role
- Challenging parts of the role
- Proudest moments in the role
- How Victoria became a principal from aspiring primary school teacher
- Highs of the career journey
- Challenges of the career journey
- Importance of role models and mentors
- Helpful education, training and skills for aspiring teaching professionals
- The future of the teaching profession
- Advice and resources for people who are keen to find out more about a career in teaching:
- Advice for her younger self and you!
We also talk about:
- Navigating steep learning curves
- The importance of believing in the vision of your school (or organisation)
- The greater demand for pastoral care within schools since the pandemic
- Creating a better world through education
- The benefit of applying for roles before you think you are ready
So if you’re curious and wondering what a principal does or how to become a principal or if you just want to be inspired ~ listen or watch and enjoy!
PS – If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!